Pensioner and Senior Rate Rebates

The Government of Western Australia provides a rebate to persons who meet the eligibility criteria set out under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992.

Am I eligible for a Pensioner or Senior rate rebate?

If you hold one of the following cards, are a property owner, and were living at that property as your "ordinary place of residence" at July 1 of the rating year, you may be eligible for a State Government rebate on your Rates and Emergency Services Levy.

  • Pensioner Concession Card;
  • WA State Seniors Card;
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and WA State Seniors Card; or
  • State Concession Card

You may also be entitled to a rebate if you have life tenancy under the terms of a will.

Apply for a Pensioner or Seniors rate rebate

Applications for the rebate can be made...

  • Via the Water Corporation website online - click here (the Water Corporation will then forward the application to the Shire of Dandaragan for processing) or;
  • Or phone 1300 659 951.

How much will I receive for my Pensioner or Senior rate rebate?

(Applicable to Rates, Specified Area Charge and Emergency Services Levy only. All other charges are to be paid in full)

Pensioners and seniors who meet certain criteria are entitled to claim a concession funded by the Government of Western Australia to a capped maximum amount off the current rates or a deferment of Council rates. Only pensioners who are entitled to receive a full 50% rebate are entitled to defer their rates. To be eligible for a rebate, applicants must, as at 1 July of the current year, be the owner and reside at that property, and:

  • Be in receipt of a Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card;
  • Hold both a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card; or
  • If a senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests.

Note: Applicants will receive a pro-rata rebate from the date of application.

Rebate refers to current rates only. Service charges such as rubbish charges and swimming pool inspection charges must be paid in full within 35 days unless paying by instalments. Where the rebated rates amount has not been received prior to June 30 no rebate will be granted. Under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992 when an entitled pensioner ceases to be entitled to a concession ie. no longer resides or owns the property or is not in receipt of a concession card stated above, that person shall notify Council and the registration shall be cancelled. Any person who wilfully makes a false statement in an application or remains registered as an entitled pensioner knowing they are not eligible is guilty of an offence, penalty $1000.

To register please phone 1300 659 951 or click here to register online.

Am I already registered for a Pensioner or Senior rate rebate?

If you have already registered with the Shire of Dandaragan, the rebate will be shown on your notice as “State Government Rebate”.

If you were previously registered for a Seniors Rebate and you now have a Pensioner Concession Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, you must complete a new application to receive an increased rebate amount.

If you have purchased a new property and you had a rebate last year on the property that you sold, the rebate does not automatically transfer to your new property. You must complete a new application.

Can I defer my rates?

You may be entitled to defer your rates and emergency services levy under certain circumstances. Please contact our Rates Department to discuss whether you are entitled. If you choose to defer, the rebate is forfeited. There is no deferment on rubbish charges or swimming pool inspection charges, so these must be paid annually.