Can I Email my Application?

Due to Covid-19, the Shire of Dandaragan is only accepting electronic applications.  If you mail your application, delays in processing may occur.  All electronic applications must be submitted to dsr@dandaragan.wa.gov.au.  We will contact you for payment.

What Size Plans does the Shire Accept in our Application?

Plans submitted are to be clearly legible details of a minimum drawing scale of 1:100 with site plan details drawn at a minimum 1:200 scale. Plans of large land tracts can be of a smaller suitable scale, but the area of the proposed development can be an enlarged scale to suit the legibility of the project details.

Do I Need a Building Permit?

The following types of building work do not require a building permit:

  • Class 10a buildings (sheds or other non-habitable outbuildings) that are less than 10m2 and 2.4m in height.
  • Renovation, alteration, improvement, repair or maintenance of a building or incidental structure that does not affect the structural soundness of the building.
  • Retaining walls that are less than 0.5m in height.
  • Water storage tanks with a capacity of 5,000L or less, or mounted on a tank stand less than 1 metre high.

The above information is provided for in the Building Regulations 2012If you are still unsure, please contact the Principal Planning & Building Officer on (08) 9652 0800 or email us at council@dandaragan.wa.gov.au 

Do I Need a Building Permit for a Relocated Dwelling?

You can ‘relocate’ an existing house to another property. 

A relocated building is completely different to a transportable building, it is – an existing house that has been built on a property with the correct building permits etc. that were required at the time of construction. It can be relocated to a new property and will require a building permit issued to either a registered builder or a licenced owner builder.


  • An owner builder licence is only granted to the owners of the property where the building is going to be constructed or relocated to.
  • A demolition licence will be required to ‘remove’ the house from its original location, or in accordance with any details as required by the permit authority of the jurisdiction from where it is removed.

Do I Need a Building Permit for a Retaining Wall?

Yes. A retaining wall is a structural element that other buildings or parts of buildings may rely on for support. The answer for individual cases should be discussed with the permit authorities delegated staff.

When Will I Need to Provide an Engineer's Certification with my Building Permit Application?

An engineer's certification is required in the following instances:

  • Steel structures that involve steel member sizes and structural arrangements beyond the scope of the NCC 2019 (BCA)
  • Site classifications and site reports.
  • All second storey's (including additions and mezzanine floors).
  • Solid masonry fences and walls over 1.8m in height.
  • Retaining walls supporting building surcharge loads or soil backfill.
  • Pylon signs.
  • Complex structures involving the application of structural principles beyond the provisions of the NCC 2019, and larger scale concrete and masonry structures.

Do I Need Building Approval for a Pergola?

A pergola is a Class 10 structure that may require a building permit and should be discussed with Development Services staff.

Do I Need a Building Permit for a Garden Shed?

A building permit is required if the garden shed is larger than 9 square metres in area, and higher than 2.1 metres ate the eaves line.

Do I Need a Building Permit for a Shadecloth Shelter?

No. if the roof is pervious. However, there are restrictions on the proximity and connection details to a lot boundary and should be discussed with Development Services staff.

When do I need a Registered Builder?

You will need a registered builder for any work over $20,000 (private or commercial).

Do I Have to be Registered as an Owner Builder to Build my own Shed?

If the value of the build is less than $20,000 you can build without registering as an owner builder.

How do I Register as an Owner Builder?

You register with the Building Commission. For further information, click here to view the Building Commission website.

Do I Need to Apply for a Building Permit if I am Just Replacing an Existing Structure?

Yes. Note: Energy Efficiency may also be affected by building additions/replacement etc. Check with the Development Services staff.

How Long is a Building Permit Valid for?

Two years with options to apply for extensions beyond that time.

What do I do if my Builder does not Complete their Work and I have to get Another Builder to Finish?

The original builder will need to complete a Notice of Cessation (BA8) which advises the work completed and work not completed, along with all certificates or proof of tests completed to date of cessation. The new builder will need to apply for a building permit for the remainder of work.

How Long does a Demolition Permit Last For?

You have 2 years to complete the works.

What is Required to Accompany an Application for Demolition Permit?

You need a site plan showing location of building to be demolished, floor plan, elevations, proof of baiting etc, evidence of insurances, safe working plan.

Do I Need Planning Consent Before Applying for a Demolition Permit?

A demolition does not require planning consent, except in the case of Heritage Listed structures.

Do I Need a Demolition Permit to Remove a House?


Do I Need a Demolition Permit to Remove my Shed?

A demolition permit is not required for a domestic 10a structure (shed) that has a floor area under 40m2 and/or less than 10m2 asbestos. A registered contractor is required for any commercial structure. Contact Worksafe on 9842 8366 for further information.

What Permits will I Need for a Water Tank?

A building permit is required for a water tank on a tank stand higher than 1 metre above finished ground.

Do I Need a Licence for my Swimming Pool, Spa or Pond?

A building permit is required under the Building Act and the Regulations prior to installing, constructing or altering swimming and spa pool barriers, including windows, door and gates that provide access to a swimming or spa pool area. A building permit is also required for the construction of swimming and spa pools. Please see link below for further information.

Building permits for private swimming pools and pool fences

What Sort of Barrier do I Need for my Swimming Pool or Spa?

Compliant safety barriers are required for in ground, above ground, and indoor swimming and spa pools that contain water that is 300mm deep or more. Swimming pool safety barriers are to satisfy Australian Standard AS 1926.1

Can I Build over Septic and Leach Drains? 

All structures including buildings, footings, retaining walls, sealed or paved area, fences, patio posts etc. or any boundary must be at least 1.8m from leach drains or soak wells and 1.2m away from septic tanks. A patio roof may be located over the septic tank (so long as posts are at correct distance from it) but no roof cover is permitted over leach drains. This allows for maximum exposure to sun and to allow for evaporation.

Can I Live in a Caravan while I Build my House?

Temporary Caravan Accommodation is not permitted unless Planning Consent to it is granted by the Shire of Dandaragan. If consent granted, conditions apply.

Can I Live in my Shed?

Living in a shed is not permitted within the Shire of Dandaragan. Shire of Dandaragan staff will not approve a shed until a permit for a dwelling has been approved and has been substantially commenced (slab down or any stage beyond). Once your house has been approved, then you may apply to live onsite in a caravan for 12 months whilst your house is being built. This will be the only time living onsite in anything other than a house is permitted.

For further information please contact Development Services.