Animal Complaints and Reporting

All animals are welcome in the Shire of Dandaragan, and we promote responsible pet ownership to ensure the care and safety of all member of our community.

It's important our records reflect the correct information, so if any of your animal details have changed, including your address, please let us know .

Here is a list of common animal complaints and how to report them.

Barking dogs

Neighbours are encouraged to speak to dog owners if they are concerned about excessive barking.

If the barking continues to be unreasonable, residents are encouraged to contact Ranger Services who will provide you with a Barking Diary.

When Ranger Services have received your completed Barking Diary, a Ranger will review the information and investigate the complaint.

Dog wandering / stray

If you see a wandering/stray dog, please contact Ranger Services with a full description of the dog and location it was last seen.  A Ranger will then attend to secure the dog.

Dogs must be held by a leash in all public places, unless in an approved Dog Exercise Area. If a dog is wandering or a stray there is a risk to the community of a dog attack.

Dog owners can help reduce wandering dogs by making sure all fences and gates are secure, and all dogs are registered and wearing ID.  

Dog attacks

A dog attack can take many forms, from a person or animal being chased and growled at, to a physical contact resulting in the death of an animal or serious injury to a person. All attacks should be reported to Ranger Services, regardless of the severity of the attack. All complaints are confidential.  

Contact Ranger Services on (08) 9652 0800 or email

Stray / feral cats

Ranger Services has a small quantity of cat traps that Shire of Dandaragan residents/ratepayers can borrow. 

There are currently no laws relating to cats wandering. If a cat is trapped and is found to be registered, microchipped & sterilised it will be returned to the registered owner.

Contact Ranger Services on (08) 9652 0800 or email