Other Businesses

Accommodation businesses

Operating an accommodation business (or ‘lodging house’) in the Shire of Dandaragan requires approval.
A lodging house is defined under the Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911 to mean "any building or structure, permanent or otherwise, and any part thereof, in which provision is made for lodging or boarding of more than six persons, exclusive of the family or the keeper there of, for hire or reward”, but does not include:

  • premises licensed under a publican's general licence, limited hotel licence, or wayside-house licence, granted under the Licensing Act 1911
  • residential accommodation for students in a non-government school within the meaning of the School Education Act 1999
  • any building comprising residential flats.

Submitting an application for a lodging house

All lodging houses within the Shire of Dandaragan local government district must be registered with the Shire of Dandaragan. An application for registration of a lodging house should be completed and submitted to the Shire, along with the prescribed registration fee and detailed plans and specifications of the lodging house.

Lodging houses must be registered annually and the Shire can revoke the registration at any time if the lodging house has not complied with any aspect of the Shire's Health Local Laws 2005.

Hairdressing and skin penetration 

Environmental Health Officers manage the registration and inspection of skin penetration and hairdressing premises. Shire officers are able to provide guidance to new and existing operators on complying with relevant Regulations and Code of Practices.

If you are thinking about opening or renovating an existing hairdressing or skin penetration establishment, including acupuncture, piercing, tattooing, waxing and other beauty treatments please refer to the WA Health Department guidelines below.

Public health guideline for hairdressing and barber industry

Operating a skin penetration establishment

Offensive trades

Offensive trades include premises that are likely to cause a nuisance by the emission of noise, odour and dust. Local government authorities are responsible for registering offensive trades and due consideration must be given to the location of these businesses due to the potential impact on surrounding occupants. Inspections of offensive trades are conducted regularly by Environmental Health Officers to ensure that they are operated in a way that minimises any potential nuisances and to protect public health.

Offensive Trades are defined under the Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911 generally include the following:

  • Abattoirs or slaughterhouses.
  • Bone mills or bone manure depots.
  • Cleaning establishments and dye works.
  • Fat rendering establishments.
  • Fellmongeries and tanneries.
  • Fish curing establishments.
  • Laundries
  • Manure works
  • Piggeries