The Shire of Dandaragan Environmental Health Team inspects public accommodation including Caravan Parks and Lodging Houses on a regular basis. These premises are required to be licenced with the Shire and renewed annually.

Lodging Houses

To obtain registration you are required to submit an application for a lodging house with the Shire, this registration can be transferred if the property is sold. To find out more information on the requirement of a lodging house please refer to the Health Local Laws  Please note planning and building approvals may also apply, contact the relevant department for more information.

Caravan Parks

If you are considering constructing a park home, patio, annexe, carport or any other structure within an existing caravan park you are required to apply for approval from the Shire of Dandaragan.

A Park Home is defined as a transportable dwelling, having a chassis, axles and wheels adequate to bear the weight of the park home or component of the park home to which they are attached, and can be drawn by another vehicle without structural alteration or damage to the park home.

However prior to seeking Shire approval please discuss your proposal with the caravan park manager and read the below guidelines ensuring all required documents are included with application.

Camping on Private Land

The WA caravan parks and camping grounds legislation specifies the length of time a person can camp on land which they own or are legally permitted to camp on. The legislation states a person may camp for no longer than three consecutive days in any 28-day period. The rationale behind this is to effectively manage public health concerns such as potable water supply and liquid and solid waste disposal as well as the need to provide minimal habitable standards.

If you need more information, please phone 9652 0800 and ask to speak to someone in Environmental Health.

Aquatic Facilities and Swimming Pools

The Health (Aquatic Facilities) Regulations 2007 applies to aquatic facilities for public use, not domestic swimming pools. This includes municipal aquatic/recreation centres, theme parks, schools, learn-to-swim centres, tourism venues (resorts, hotels, motels, caravan parks, bed & breakfast, chalets, recreational campsites and farm stays), health clubs, physiotherapy centres, mine sites, places of adult entertainment, retirement/lifestyle villages and body corporate premises with ≥ 30 units/apartments.

Shire Environmental Health Officers undertake routine sampling and inspections of public aquatic facilities to ensure they are meeting public health requirements.

New public aquatic facilities have to be approved by the Department of Health (WA). More information is available here.

Excessive Noise

If you have a complaint about excessive neighbourhood noise you can contact the Environmental Health Officers who are authorised to deal with noise issues under the provisions of the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulation 1997. Our officers are not available after hours; if you encounter noise issues at night such as noisy parties you need to contact Police.

Complaints about barking dogs should be referred to the Shire of Dandaragan Rangers Department.

Click to download the Noise Complaint Form.

Hairdressing and Skin Penetration

Environmental Health Officers manage the registration and inspection of skin penetration and hairdressing premises. We are able to provide guidance to new and existing operators on applying the Skin Penetration Regulations and Code of Practice and the Hairdressing Establishment Regulations.

If you are thinking about opening or renovating an existing  hairdressing or skin penetration establishment including acupuncture, piercing, tattooing, waxing and other beauty treatments please refer to the below guidelines.

All hairdressing or skin penetration businesses must be approved as a Health Related Premise and an application is required.  Click to download the Application to establish a Skin Penetration Business.

Offensive Trades

Offensive Trades are defined under the Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911 that are likely to cause a nuisance by the emission of noise, odour and dust; and generally include the following:

  • Abattoirs or slaughterhouses
  • Bone mills or bone manure depots
  • Cleaning establishments and dye works
  • Fat rendering establishments
  • Fish curing establishments
  • Flock factories
  • Laundries
  • Manure works
  • Piggeries;
  • Places for storing, drying or preserving bones, hides, hoofs or skins
  • Tripe boiling establishments
  • Works for boiling down meat, bones, blood or offal

Offensive Trade establishments are subject to Shire approval and subsequent routine inspections to ensure compliance with the Shire of Dandaragan Health Local Law.

Public Buildings

The Shire’s Health Services team regularly assesses facilities used by the general public such as churches, recreation centres, schools, pubs and function centres. These types of buildings are considered ‘public buildings’ by health legislation.

The assessments focus on the safety of the building and Environmental Health Officers examine aspects such as:

  • Emergency exits and locking devices
  • Emergency lighting and proof of their regular maintenance
  • Provision and maintenance of fire extinguishers and hose reels
  • Emergency evacuation procedures
  • Provision and maintenance of public ablution facilities
  • Adequate ventilation of the building.

Temporary public buildings (events)

When organising an event in the Shire of Dandaragan, you may be required to obtain approval to construct a temporary public building. A temporary public building may not necessarily refer to an actual building but rather the area within which the event is held, indoor or out.

An Application to Construct, Alter and Extend a Public Building must be submitted at least one month prior to the event.

For more information go to https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/N_R/Public-buildings-and-mass-gatherings

Recycle Right

In an effort to reduce contamination and improve WA’s recycling rates the Shire of Dandaragan is encouraging residents to improve their recycling habits to reduce contamination in recycling bins and decrease recyclable goods going into landfill.

Bagging your recycling waste is one of the worst things to do, as bagged recyclable items become contaminated and have to go to landfill. Simply keep plastic bags out of the bin, and instead place your recyclable items loosely and separately in the recycling bin.

We also urge you to rinse your jars, bottles and containers before placing them in your bin, as food and liquid contaminate all material types and can contaminate an entire truck-load of recyclable waste.

Follow this simple list and help reduce contamination in our recycling. If in doubt, put it in your general waste bin!

You can put these into your yellow-topped bin:

  • Paper (excluding shredded paper)
  • Cardboard (flattened)
  • Glass (clean and empty, broken glass also accepted)
  • Plastic containers and plastic bottles (clean and empty).
  • Aluminium cans
  • Steel cans (clean and empty).

Remember these items must NOT go into your yellow-topped bin:

  • NO grass clippings, food or garden waste.
  • NO material in bags (recyclables should be placed loose in the bin).
  • NO plastic bags and light plastic film.
  • NO nappies.
  • NO clothes or other textiles.
  • NO building waste.
  • NO gas bottles.
  • NO ropes, cables and garden hose pipes.
  • NO polystyrene.

Green waste, waste oil and scrap metal can be disposed of at all our waste management facilities for free.

And remember the three R’s; “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” - help to cut down on the amount of waste we throw away. They conserve natural resources, landfill space and energy. Plus, the three R's save land and money communities must use to dispose of waste in landfills.

For more information visit: https://recycleright.wa.gov.au/