Rates are calculated by multiplying a rate in the dollar by your property valuation, subject to the minimum payment. Your valuation is supplied by the WA State Government department Landgate.

Council sets the rate in the dollar as part of each year’s budget process. It is based on the Shires expenditure requirements, both operating and capital, offset by other forms of income such as government grants and fees for service.

In addition to the rates amount, your notice will include other charges such as the State Government's Emergency Service Levy, refuse collection and the waste facilities maintenance rate.

Download additional information below:

2023-24 Rates Flyer

2023-24 Annual Budget Flyer

How is the valuation calculated?

Your property will be rated as one of two rating methods:

Unimproved Value (UV) is used for primary producers whose main source of income is derived from the land, with activities such as farming and horticulture. This valuation is based on the unimproved capital value of the land.

Gross Rental Value (GRV) is used for all other properties. Improved property valuations are based on a gross annual rental that the land might reasonably expect to realise if let on a tenancy, including outgoings such as rates and other property expenses. Many factors are taken into consideration when assessing the valuation, such as location, age of the premises and size of the improvements (ie how many bedrooms, bathrooms, living areas and floor space of commercial properties). As most commercial rentals are negotiated net of outgoings, these need to be added to the net rental and if rental payments are subject to GST, they are included in the GRV. If the land is vacant and has a residential zoning, the valuation will be 3 per cent of the capital land value. Vacant land that is not zoned residential (eg industrial or rural) will be valued at 5 percent of the capital land value.

Landgate revalues GRV rated properties every 3-5 years and UV rated properties every year. For further information on valuations, visit the Landgate website - Rating and Taxing information

What if I disagree with the valuation for my property?

Under the Valuation of Land Act, you have the right to object to the value that is used to determine your rates. Objections must be lodged within 60 days of the date of issue of the rates notice. Rates must be paid even if an objection has been lodged but are subject to adjustment if the objection is successful.

Before formally lodging an objection, please phone Landgate on (08) 9273 7373 to discuss your concerns or visit their website for further information. Objection forms can be obtained from the Landgate website - Lodging an Objection.

What is the Emergency Services Levy?

The Emergency Services Levy is forwarded to DFES to fund the Career Fire and Rescue, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Brigades, SES units and DFES units throughout Western Australia. Rebates apply to this levy under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992.

The amount of ESL to be collected, and the applicable rates and charging parameters, are declared annually by the Minister for Emergency Services.

For more information please refer to the ESL section of the DFES website www.dfes.wa.gov.au or call 1300 136 099.

What is the rubbish charge and what service is provided?

The Shire of Dandaragan provides rubbish and recycling collection services to all residential properties within the urban collection area. This service is paid for via the rubbish charge on your rate notice.

Additional bins are available for residential properties at a cost. Requests must be made in writing by the owner of the property. Please click here to access the form to be completed and returned.

Properties in the collection area who have a shed on their property will be issued a Rural Facility Pass with 52 uses on it. Properties in the non-collection area can request a Rural Facility Pass by downloading, completing and returning the form below:

Additional Bin Request form

What is the rates minimum payment?

Council sets a rates minimum payment amount to ensure that all ratepayers contribute an equitable amount for the Shires services.

If the calculation of valuation multiplied by the rate in the dollar is less than the minimum amount, then the minimum will be applied. If the valuation multiplied by the rate in the dollar is more than the minimum, then the higher amount is payable.

How are my rates spent?

Your rates contribute towards the upkeep and maintenance of the Shires infrastructure, including roads, paths, parks, playgrounds, beaches and sports grounds and pavilions. We also provide many services such as the library, airport, ranger services and comprehensive arts and events programs.

How do I notify a change of address?

Property owners have an obligation to ensure that Council has the correct address details for service of rate notices.

If you have changed address, please complete our online form at the link below:

Online form

I have sold or purchased a property, what do I need to do with the Shire?

If you are selling or buying a property, you should confirm with your settlement agent or solicitor that they will advise the Shire of the new owner’s contact information, date of sale and do the rates adjustments.

If you are now the owner of a property and have not used a settlement agent or solicitor, you should provide a copy of the Certificate of Title and download, complete and return a Change of Address form to our rates department so that our records can be updated.

Change of Address form

What happens to my rates if I build a new house or shed or subdivide my property?

When there are changes to your property that will affect your valuation, the Shire receives a new valuation and effective date from Landgate. The Shire will then issue an amended (interim) rate notice. Generally new valuations are received 3-4 months after the building or subdivision completion.

Examples of where your valuation will be amended include:

  • A new dwelling or shed
  • Dwelling alterations or additional rooms have been constructed
  • A building has been demolished
  • Your property has been subdivided or amalgamated